How to pay & file expat taxes

Regardless of where you live, H&R Block Expat Tax Services can relieve the stress of filing U.S. tax returns and staying compliant with your U.S. tax obligations. Below, we'll explain step-by-step how to file taxes as an expat with our virtual process, designed for the convenience of expats filing abroad.

  1. Register online and complete your tax organizer.

    Our simple process makes expat tax filing easy. Register an account on the H&R Block Expat website. From there, simply complete your personal tax organizer, where you provide information about your tax situation. After you have provided your information, you'll be provided a personalized checklist of documents specific to your situation.
  2. We'll assign you the right advisor for your situation.

    The information that you provide will help us match you with an H&R Block expat tax advisor that will review your documents and then verify the price of your return preparation.
  3. We prepare your U.S. tax return.

    Our experienced team of CPAs, tax attorneys and enrolled agents specialize in tax on U.S. expats, so you can trust H&R Block Expat Tax Services for all the following:
    • Federal tax preparation and filing
    • State tax return preparation and filing
    • FBAR filing (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts)
    • Past-due tax returns from prior years, including Streamlined Compliance filings
    • Year-round audit support
    • Free extension filing
    • We even offer local tax return preparation in select countries

    Your personal tax advisor will prepare your return and provide a personal consultation if needed.
  4. Pay for and review the return.

    When your tax return is completed, you'll be asked for payment via your client portal. Know that protecting your information is important to us. As the largest global tax preparer, we maintain the physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect the information you submit to us.

    After you pay, your H&R Block expat tax advisor can walk you through your return, answer your questions and offer relevant tax savings tips for next year.
  5. We file your return with the IRS.

    Finally, we'll file your completed return with the IRS. In the rare case of IRS questions or an audit, we'll help provide answers and support. After filing, your tax return will be stored in H&R Block's secure tax portal, where it will be safe and easy to access, whenever you need.

Ready to get started? Register an account today.

What is an expat? Who qualifies?

An expat is a U.S. citizen or green-card holder living or working outside the United States. Importantly, even though they are no longer in the U.S., they are required to report worldwide income and file taxes even as an expat if they meet specific filing thresholds. However, there are some special issues expats need to consider when filing their return, including potentially reporting financial information through FBAR or FATCA requirements.

What if I've never filed taxes as an expat before?

Many U.S. citizens living abroad assume that they only have tax obligations to their current country of residence and overlook their U.S. tax duty. Even if taxes are not owed to the IRS or state government, due to anticipated foreign tax credits or foreign earned income exclusions, expats are still required to file a U.S. tax return if their gross income exceeds the filing threshold deduction for their filing status.

If you were honestly unaware of your filing requirement, the time to act is now. Our international tax experts can help you decide on the best course of action for your unique situation and help you determine how you should file taxes as an expat. The IRS has several non-penalty disclosure programs available to Americans abroad who have honestly overlooked their filing obligations and never filed taxes. One option is the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures.

How to file an FBAR

Your FBAR must be filed electronically through FinCEN's BSA e-filing system or with a preparation service, such as H&R Block Expat Tax Services.

Married taxpayers should take note: In very few situations are you able to submit a joint FBAR. If you own accounts jointly with your spouse, and either none or only one of you own a separate account, you are able file a single report. Otherwise, each spouse must file their own. If you are filing prior year FBARs or amended FBARs, you must still use FinCEN's website to do so and you must file separate accounts.

When you work with H&R Block Expat Tax Services, your expat tax advisor will guide you in each step of your FBAR filing.

Complete your expat tax filing with H&R Block

Need help? Have questions about how to file your expat taxes with us??Contact one of our Client Relationship Professionals?now and we’ll help you get started. If you’re all set and ready to file with our experts online, go ahead and start the process with virtual?Expat Tax Preparation?from H&R Block today!